It is extremely common after a recent Covid infection to experience a considerable amount of temporary (silver lining) hair loss. I am speaking from personal, and professional experience.
Oh man, I lost a lot of hair last year! I got hit with Covid twice in 2021, once in January before vaccine, and then again in August before booster. Good news. Both times were mild, thanks to my masking, I never shared my covid, and I managed to avoid infection this holiday season when all heck broke loose in NYC.
So, last week I did what I would recommend anyone do if you’re concerned about major hair loss. I saw my dermatologist. She confirmed that yes, her patients are clogging up their drains too, and that, thankfully, it’s only temporary. Once the body recovers from the infection, hair will grow back.
On any given day, a healthy human (adolescent+) will shed between 50-100 hairs. Anything beyond that is considered to be excessive and warrants a trip to the doctor. Hormonal changes, postpartum, and age related, are the biggest culprit of hair loss. Thyroid issues, chemotherapy, other health issues, and some medications can also lead to hair loss. And now we can add Covid to the list.
What to do?
- Talk to your Doctor to rule out other health issues.
- Drink lots of Water
- Eat Clean Nutritious Foods to help with recovery.
- Good Whole Food Sources of Biotin to help support hair growth Sweet Potatoes, Mushrooms, Nutritional Yeast, Legumes (folic acid is also good for hair growth, beans are queen), Almonds, and Sunflower Seeds.
- Gentle Wash
- Use Clean Products, Rinse Hair and Scalp with Cooler Water (never hot)
- Keep Scalp Clean
- Rinse thoroughly
- No dry shampoo
- No more than one day between washings.
- Detangle in shower with conditioner and detangling brush.
- Avoid heat styling, or choose methods that prevent scalp from getting hot.
- Get a Haircut!
- A fresh cut will make the hair look fuller and healthier, always!
- To Support Hair Growth Naturally, I recommend Harklinikken’s daily elixir.
- Contact me I have a few complimentary consultation coupons ($150 value)*
*Available to my guests only.
Most importantly try not to stress too much about it. You’re not alone, and it will grow back. If you need support in the meantime, I’ve got you.