Frequently Asked Questions : Food for Thought
A Word About Social Media & Guest Photos
I Respect My Guests’ Privacy.
You’ll notice I don’t have many guest photos across media platforms, this is by design. I will not subject my guests to post service photoshoots or post them on social media without explicit permission. I also have an uneasy relationship with social media in general. I appreciate the visibility, but at what cost?
My guests generally feel the same way. If I ask for photos for posting it will be clear, only with consent, and usually come with a reward for the modeling. I view it like logos, if a brand wants me to advertise for their company with their logo emblazoned on my chest, shouldn’t they be paying me as their walking billboard. Otherwise, just provide I product I love, and killer service, and I’ll chat it up gladly.
I use social media creatively to promote myself, and amplify voices. I’ll let you control what you put out there or not.
If you like my work, please tell your friends, I appreciate referrals!
If you’re happy and want to share it, and tag me, that would be lovely. I’ll thank you will rewards points};-)
What To Expect During Your Visit
Y(our) health and safety are my #1 priority.
- Triple Certified in Infection Control.
- Fully vaccinated and boosted x’s 2 (11/22).
- All Guests are Required to Mask Regardless of Vaccination Status, In Home and In Salon.
- I continually monitor the NYS state, and Federal guidelines, and meet, or exceed their mandates.
- For In Home visits I require Adequate Ventilation (non-negotiable)
In Home Visits
In home visits are for established guests, primarily for safety reasons. I prefer to meet in the salon for the first visit. It’s like online dating, meet in public first. However, I do understand that some people can not go to the salon for health reasons, physical or emotional. Please contact me directly, and let’s chat.
That being said, I require adequate ventilation, good lighting, access to an electrical outlet, and I need enough space to comfortably, and fully be able to walk around the chair. If you do not require a wheelchair, I need a standard height chair, back in no higher than your shoulder blades if possible.
I may also require a surface to work off of for certain services, like a small table or counter for hot tools, and hair pins during an updo.
I rent space as needed as a guest artist at a newer salon in Soho, on Thompson St. The space has a casual chic, warm, industrial, downtown vibe. The salon is LGBTQIA+ friendly, the restroom is gender neutral.
If you have mobility concerns please contact me directly, an In Home/Office Visit may be preferable for you. We can chat logistics.
Time Based Pricing
My services and prices are gender neutral, and time based. My menu reflects the average time it takes for any given service. Please view my complete menu with descriptions and pricing here.
I switched to session based all inclusive pricing. If you need a deep conditioning treatment or a clarifying treatment, it’s included! When you book a color session, we will do as much as we can to get you as close to your color goal as possible, allowing for integrity of the hair, time and budget. (Do you really care if it’s a toner or a gloss? I’ll drive, you just need to buckle up, once you tell me where we’re going.)
Zero Waste Plan
The Beauty Business Has a Big Dirty Secret
877lbs Salon Waste to Landfill Every Single Minute
It doesn’t have to be that way.
1. I’ve partnered with Green Circle Salons to collect waste from your services, such as hair, excess color, color tubes, PPE & more for recycling or repurposing. Hair can be used to clean oil spills, or made into bio-plastic, which is super cool.
2. I’m also collecting used PPE to recycle on your behalf in my GCS box..
Bring Me Your Dirty Masks!
3. Friseur NYC is Carbon Neutral, Green Circle Salons has partnered with Climate Partner to Offset Member Carbon production.
4. I’ve selected products with sustainable packaging, where possible, and recycle the rest with Green Circle salons.
5. I rent space in an existing salon to avoid opening a single chair salon or suite. This saves energy since I do not have to heat or light a space when it’s not in use. And it allows me to remain independent at the same time.
6. I use a digital scale to measure color, so I can measure just enough color, and not have excess to begin with.
7. I’m learning more every day, and doing what I can.
Strands For Trans Proud Member
What is Strands for Trans
Strands for Trans is a registry of salons and barber shops that offer gender affirming services, gender neutral pricing, and spaces.
I am a long time LGTBQIA ally. I am also a mom of a Queer/ Non-Binary Teen. I’ve had the great privilege of giving first gender affirming cuts for teens, it is an incredibly beautiful experience, and truly humbling. It’s an honor to be trusted for such a milestone.
If you have any questions or concerns, or if you need another parent ally DM me.
I support the Crown Act
What is the Crown Act?
Crown = Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair
The CROWN ACT is legislation to end discrimination in the workplace and schools based on hairstyles.
NYS has protections in place for humans wearing “protective hairstyles” such as dreads, braids, twists, coils, bantu knots, etc. Most states do not.
Kids can get sent home or denied access to events and activities, and black, women in particular, but not exclusively, face hair discrimination at work regularly.
At the Federal level Mitch is holding up the Vote in the Senate, of course, the CROWN Act passed in the House, two years and counting (2023).